"A total of 900 NTD honorariums will be offered upon completion of the two experiments." 🙂
This is Cindy Shih, R.A. in MEG Laboratory, Academia Sinica. You have received this email because our record indicates that you have previously participated in our bilingual studies (interviews and/or experiments) conducted by our members in NCCU. After going through your profile in the database, we are highly interested in your language backgrounds and thought you might be interested to know a few upcoming language experiments that are currently recruiting new participants in their affiliated laboratories!
The series of language studies illustrated as following aim to investigate commonality and differences in tone perception of speakers across different languages. We wish to make contributions to the fast-growing population of Mandarin Chinese learners and NOW, YOU CAN BE PART OF IT!
Tests of Auditory Awareness across Speakers of Different Languages
Location: MEG Laboratory, Institute of Physics, Academia Sinica
Address: 128, Section 2, Yánjiùyuàn Road, Nangang District Taipei City, Taiwan 115 (中央研究院 物理研究所/ 台北市115 南港區研究院路二段 128號)
- Native speakers of non-tonal language (most indo-European Languages including Slavic, Romance, and Germanic languages)
- Planning to or just started to learn Mandarin Chinese who has NOT studied or been exposed to Chinese (both simplified and traditional) more than 12 months
- Normal hearings
- No previous medical history of neuro-genetic disease and disorders
- No metal components attached to the body (such as braces, dental retainers) or surgically implants including cardiac pacemaker.
You will have the chance to closely experience and understand how human brain research is done in the laboratory and how we map brain activities through recording magnetic fields produced through electronic currents occurring naturally in the brain.
AUDITORY TRACKING (60mins)
Do you think the tones in Mandarin Chinese are hard to identify? Have you ever wondered whether you might be pre-programmed to adapt a particular sound system through your native language? You will be asked to listen and identify a series of sounds that test the limit of your auditory perceptions.
A total of 900 NTD honorariums will be offered upon completion of the two experiments.
Tuesday, April 24 12:00-13:30
Friday, April 27 9:00-10:30
Tuesday, May 1st 14:00-15:30
Wednesday May 2nd 11:00-12:30 12:30-14:00 15:30-17:00
Friday, May 4rd 9:00-10:30
Tuesday, May 15th 15:30-17:00
Thursday, May 17th 11:00-12:30 12:30-14:00 14:00-15:30 15:30-17:00
How to apply:
If you’re interested, please apply to this email with
1) Your name, email address, contact number, and your availability chosen from our provisional schedule above
2) fill out the questionnaire below and email it back to ccshih83[at]gmail.com replace the [at] with '@'. Download questionnaire: Demographic Information v5 revised
After carefully reviewing your information and we will make all the effort to arrange an appointment according to your list of availability. Thank you.
We appreciate your interests and value each of our participants gratefully.
Many thanks for your patience in reading this email and we look forward to hearing from you soon.